Sweet potato breakfast bowl is a balanced and hearty breakfast that will satisfy your cravings and give you the energy you need to conquer your day. It is warm, comforting and loaded with good-for-you ingredients like fresh greens, sweet potato, peppers, eggs and avocado. If you’re a savory breakfast lover, this breakfast bowl is for you and I promise its worth trying.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see private policy for details.
Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day. I like to have a really good breakfast because its the best way to start off the day, plus it gives me a ton of energy to get through my busy schedule. Whenever I am craving a nutritious and delicious meal, this sweet potato breakfast bowl is always my go-to. It never fails to satisfy my cravings and it leaves me feeling good all the time. It is also incredibly easy to make. Most of the work is basically prepping. I like to cook the potatoes in the air fryer which takes about 5 minutes and everything else comes together in a breeze.
INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST BOWL
- Sweet Potato: One large sweet potato yields about 2 servings. Other potatoes also work for this recipe.
- Greens: I like to use arugula or spinach for this bowl.
- Bell Peppers & Red Onion: Add flavor.
- Egg: Scrambled, fried or hard boiled. I like scrambled eggs but if you want to meal prep this bowl for a grab-and-go breakfast, hard boiled eggs would be best.
- Bacon: Crispy bacon is the perfect addition to this bowl. It adds flavor and texture. Other meat substitute are sausage or chorizo. I like to use the Trader Joe’s Apple Smoked Bacon
- Avocado: Avocado compliments this bowl so well and we can never go wrong with some healthy fats.
- Cheese: This is optional but I like to sprinkle on some crumbled feta. Feel free to use your favorite cheese.
- Cilantro: Using fresh herbs like cilantro is a great way to add some fresh flavors to the bowl.
- Sauce: Mayonnaise, lemon juice, sriracha
- Spices: Garlic powder, salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST BOWL
This breakfast bowl is so easy to make. With just a few simple steps you can have the most satisfying breakfast in front of you. It could even be easier if you meal prep the ingredients or use leftovers. (See more details on the recipe card below)
Cook the potatoes: Preheat the air fryer or oven to 400 degrees F. Dice the potato to your liking. In a bowl, toss the potato with avocado oil (or olive oil), salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Arrange the pieces in a single layer and cook for 5-8 minutes in the air fryer or 15-20 minutes in the oven.
Cook the Bacon: Chop the bacon into bite size pieces and cook in a skillet over medium heat until crispy.
Sauté the peppers: Dice the onion and peppers and sauté in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant and translucent.
Cook the eggs: Cook the eggs however you like them: scrambled, fried or boiled.
Make the sauce: In a bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and sriracha. Add more sriracha if you want more spice.
Assemble the Bowl: Once everything is cooked and prepped, assemble the bowl and enjoy.
HOW TO STORE AND MEAL PREP BREAKFAST BOWL
Meal prepping is one of the most effective ways to making sure you eat a good healthy breakfast each day. So, prepping a tasty, and nutritious bowl like this sweet potato breakfast bowl will not only save you valuable time during the week but it will also reduce stress and make you feel good. Here are some tips for prepping and storing this breakfast bowl:
- Cook the ingredients that reheat well like the potato, bacon and peppers.
- Make the sauce and store it in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Store the ingredients in separate airtight containers.
Here are my favorite meal prep containers
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a star rating and comment below to let us know your thoughts. You can also share the recipe on Instagram and tag @eatwell.withlex.
1 large sweet potato, diced
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
4 large eggs, seasoned with salt and pepper
4 slices of thick-cut bacon
1 cup greens, spinach or arugula
Garnish: crumbled feta (or your favorite cheese) and finely chopped cilantro
Creamy sauce: 1 tbsp mayonnaise, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 1/2 tsp sriracha
- Preheat the oven or air fryer to 400 degrees F. In a bowl toss the diced potato with avocado oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Arrange the pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet or in the air fryer. Cook for 5-8 minutes in the air fryer or 15-20 minutes in the oven. Make sure to flip the potatoes halfway through.
- Chop the bacon into bite size pieces and cook in a skillet over medium heat until crispy.
- Discard the bacon fat and sauté the bell peppers and onion in the same skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes and set aside.
- Cook the eggs however you like them: scrambled, fried or boiled.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and sriracha to make the sauce.
- Once everything is cooked and prepped, assemble the bowl with greens, potato, egg, bacon, peppers and onion. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro, then drizzle the sauce over the bowl and enjoy.