Summer berry salad is a colorful mix of fresh spinach, tangy feta cheese, crunchy pistachios, and sweet berries drizzled with a vibrant homemade strawberry vinaigrette. Serve this delicious salad at your next picnic or cookout for a quick, easy, and healthy dish.
If you’re on a mission to never have another boring salad again, then you have to try this summer berry salad. It is one of the tastiest salads I’ve ever had the pleasure of making and it’s bound to be a hit at all your seasonal gatherings. It’s a mouthwatering medley of sweet and salty flavor ingredients and just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, add some strawberry honey salad dressing.
Why This is the Best Summer Berry Salad Recipe
- Quick and Easy: From start to finish, this spinach berry salad recipe takes less than 15 minutes to prepare.
- Great for Gatherings: This vegetarian salad is a great option for most diets so everyone can enjoy it. It’s especially refreshing for hot days and outdoor events.
- Totally Customizable: With lots of flavorful components, feel free to swap and omit ingredients based on personal preference.
- Better than Storebought: Skip Wendy’s and Panera because this is fresher, more flavorful, and affordable!
Summer Berry Salad Ingredients
- Fresh Spinach: Roughly chopped.
- Fruits: I use a mix of strawberry, blueberry, and kiwi.
- Pistachio: These have a savory, nutty flavor and add a delectable crunch.
- Feta: This adds a salty, creamy quality.
- Red Onion: This adds a pungent taste and a crisp texture.
Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing:
- Strawberry: This adds fruity sweetness and a beautiful hue.
- Honey: This natural sweetener adds sweetness and a thicker consistency.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This adds a sharp, tangy flavor.
- Lime Juice: For a bright citrus taste.
- Salt: This enhances the other flavors.
- Olive Oil: This enriches the salad dressing.
How to Make Summer Berry Salad
Make the dressing: In a blender add all the ingredients for the strawberry vinaigrette dressing. Blend until smooth. Store in the refrigerator while you prepare the salad.
Prep the ingredients: Chop and prep the berries and other ingredients for the salad. Add all the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl and gently toss to combine.
If you are serving the entire salad immediately then drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. If not, then only add the dressing to individual serving to keep the salad fresh as possible.
Pro Tips for the Best Summer Berry Salad
- Start with fresh greens. The base of any good salad is fresh greens. Arugula, spinach and mixed greens are all great options.
- Use fresh fruits and a variety of berries. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are all great options.
- Taste test the strawberry vinaigrette before serving. Add more honey if it’s too tart and add more vinegar if it’s too sweet.
- Don’t forget to add some crunch. Adding texture to your salad is always a good idea. You can add some chopped nuts like pistachio, almonds or pecans.
Can Summer Berry Salad Be Made Ahead?
Yes. Make it up to 12 hours in advance but do not add the salad dressing. Alternatively, prepare the dressing and chop up all your fruits ahead of time but wait until the day of to toss everything together. Store everything covered in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Store the leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Store the vinaigrette separately in a mason jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Berry Salad with Mint: For a refreshing twist, add this herb.
- Greens: Switch up the greens with arugula, kale, or romaine lettuce.
- Cheese: Try goat cheese or blue cheese as substitutes for feta.
- Nuts: Not a fan of pistachios? Try pecans, walnuts, or almonds. Elevate this salad even more by using candied nuts or toasted nuts.
- Nut-Free: If you want some crunch but can’t eat nuts, try sunflower seeds or poppy seeds instead.
- Summer Berry Salad with Chicken: Make this a heartier meal by adding grilled chicken. You can also add another protein like salmon or even a burger.
- Add Grains: If you want to make this more filling but meatless, try adding quinoa.
- Salad Dressing: Keep it light with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing or raspberry vinaigrette.
- Vegan: Instead of honey in the vinaigrette, use agave. Omit the cheese or use vegan cheese for a dairy-free option.
What are summer berries?
Blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries are all in season in summer.
What is the most basic formula in making a salad vinaigrette?
Traditional vinaigrette is made with vinegar and olive oil.
Is vinaigrette salad dressing healthy?
A simple vinaigrette is one of the healthiest salad dressings you can use. Especially when compared to high-calorie, high-fat dressings like ranch or Caesar.
More Healthy Recipes:
DID YOU MAKE THIS SUMMER BERRY SALAD WITH STRAWBERRY VINAIGRETTE RECIPE?
Leave a star rating and comment below to let us know your thoughts. You can also share the recipe on Instagram and tag @eatwell.withlex.
Summer Berry Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach roughly chopped
- ½ cup Strawberry
- ½ cup Blueberry
- ½ cup Kiwi
- ⅓ cup Pistachio
- ¼ cup Feta
- ¼ cup Red Onion
Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1 cup Strawberry
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- In a blender add all the ingredients for the strawberry vinaigrette dressing. Blend until smooth. Store in the refrigerator while you prepare the salad.
- Chop and prep the berries and other ingredients for the salad. Add all the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl and gently toss to combine.
- If you are serving the entire salad immediately then drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. If not, then only add the dressing to individual serving to keep the salad fresh as possible.