Homemade strawberry popsicles are an easy, sweet, creamy frozen treat for toddlers, kids, and adults alike! Made with just 5 ingredients, this cold dessert is simple, nutritious, and the perfect treat for summer.
Strawberries are a favorite fruit among kids, and what better way to enjoy the fruit than in homemade popsicles? Making your own strawberry popsicles not only ensures that your kids are getting a healthy and delicious treat but it also allows you to control the ingredients and avoid unnecessary additives. With just a few simple ingredients and some popsicle molds, you can create a refreshing and nutritious summer snack that your kids will love.
If you can’t pass the frozen aisle without the kids asking for Outshine popsicles, then you have to give these a try. These are more nutritious and affordable!
Why This is the Best Strawberry Popsicles for Kids
- Perfect Summer Treat: Whether you’re lounging by the pool, hosting a cookout, or just relaxing at home in the air conditioning, homemade popsicles are the best snack.
- Customizable: Control the amount of sugar, make them dairy-free, or switch up the fruit. This recipe is super versatile to suit your personal taste. Besides that, you’ll know exactly what you’re feeding your family.
- Healthy Snack: Made with fruit, yogurt, and chia seeds, strawberry popsicles, this snack is rich in protein, probiotics, and fiber. There are also no additives or artificial dyes. So the kids can indulge without you worrying.
- Easy to Make: With just 5 ingredients, a blender, and popsicle molds, you can make strawberry popsicles.
Strawberry Yogurt Popsicle Ingredients
- Strawberry: Use fresh strawberries. Remember to wash them and remove the hulls.
- Banana: This complements the strawberries and counters the tartness. They’re also super soft so they blend well.
- Yogurt: Keep it simple with plain Greek yogurt. This enriches the popsicle and gives them a smoother consistency. If you have more of a sweet tooth, you can use a flavored yogurt like vanilla or even another berry flavor.
- Chia Seeds: These are flavorless and undetectable when blended but they are rich in fiber, proteins, and vitamins.
- Plant-Based Milk: This makes it easier to pour into the molds. Use almond milk or oat milk for the best results.
How to Make Strawberry Popsicles for Kids
Blend the ingredients: Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and then blend until smooth.
Mold and Freeze: Pour the mixture into popsicle molds. Add chopped strawberries to each mold. Freeze for at least 5 hours or overnight.
How to Remove the Popsicles from the Molds
Run warm water over each mold until the popsicles loosen. Just avoid getting water in the mold. Alternatively, let the molds sit at room temperature for a few minutes and they should pop out easily after that.
Are Homemade Popsicles Worth the Effort ?
Yes, 100%! Homemade popsicles can often be a healthier alternative to store-bought ones, as you have control over the ingredients, You have the freedom to choose the quality of ingredients as well as opt for fresh fruits, natural sweeteners and avoid artificial additives or excessive sugar.
Secondly, homemade popsicles allow you to customize the flavors and experiment with different fruits, spices and even incorporate healthier add-ins like chia seeds or yogurt.
Lastly, Making popsicles at home gives you the advantage of catering to specific dietary needs or food allergies. Making popsicles at home will allow you to avoid common allergens like dairy, gluten, or nuts.
Pro Tips for the Best Strawberry Popsicles
- Blend until smooth or stop when the mixture has reached your desired consistency. If you like yours a little chunky, that’s OK too.
- Taste-test the blended mixture before you set them in the popsicle molds. Then make adjustments if necessary.
- Frozen Strawberries: You can use frozen fruit for this recipe. Allow them to defrost beforehand or throw them in the blender as is if you don’t mind some chunks in your popsicles.
- Lemon Juice: Add a squeeze of fresh lemon to the blender to enhance the berry flavor. It adds a bright citrus taste to the popsicles.
- Sweetness: Although I think these are perfectly sweet on their own without added sugar, you can add a natural sweetener if you’d like. Try honey or agave.
- More Fruits: Add whatever fruits you like. I’d stick with strawberries as the base and swap out bananas for kiwi, watermelon, peaches, blueberries, or raspberries.
Healthy Add-ins to include in Homemade Popsicles
Yogurt: Use plain or flavor yogurt to add creaminess and a dose of calcium. I like to use vanilla greek yogurt.
Nut Butters: Add a tablespoon of nut butter like almond butter, peanut butter, or cashew butter.
Seeds: Chia seeds, flaxseeds or hemp seeds can be added for extra nutrition. They may provide omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and crunch to the popsicles.
Vegetables: Sneak in some vegetables by adding spinach, cauliflower, zucchini or beets. They provide additional nutrients without compromising the taste.
GET THE POPSICLE MOLDS HERE!
Can Strawberry Popsicles Be Made Ahead?
Yes! It’s best to make these at least 1 day in advance because they need at least 5 hours of freezing time in order to set.
Strawberry popsicles can remain in their molds until you are ready to serve them (if they are sealable). Once the popsicles have been removed from the molds, store the leftovers in a freezer-safe airtight container. Place parchment paper in between the popsicles to prevent them from sticking together.
Consume them within 2 weeks for the best taste and texture.
How do you keep homemade popsicles soft?
Adding a creamy component to your popsicle mixture, such as yogurt, coconut milk, or cream, can help create a softer and creamier texture. The fats in these ingredients prevent the popsicles from freezing too hard.
How to make fruit popsicles without molds?
If you don’t have molds, pour the fruit mixture into small plastic cups and insert a popsicle stick into each cup.
How long does it take to freeze popsicles?
Strawberry banana popsicles need at least 5 hours to freeze. However, it’s best to let them freeze overnight.
More Kids Snack Recipes:
DID YOU MAKE THIS STRAWBERRY POPSICLES RECIPE?
Leave a star rating and comment below to let us know your thoughts. You can also share the recipe on Instagram and tag @eatwell.withlex.
Homemade Strawberry Popsicles
- 1 1/2 cup Strawberry
- 1 Banana
- 1/3 cup Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup Plant Based Milk
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle molds.
- Freeze for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Let the popsicle sit out for 5-10 minutes before serving.