One Pan Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi is quick, easy and very delicious. Imagine tender, well-seasoned chicken, pillowy gnocchi and mushrooms all swimming in a luscious garlic cream sauce. If that doesn’t make your taste buds do a happy dance, what will? The best part? It all comes together in just one pan in only 30 minutes. And yes, it’s kid-approved too.
Looking for more easy one pot dinner ideas, check out my Easy One Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice Dinner. It is a delicious yet simple weeknight dinner.
Family Friendly One Pan Gnocchi with Chicken & Mushrooms
Let’s talk real talk— one-pan dinners like this creamy chicken and gnocchi isn’t just about the incredible flavors. It’s about simplifying life. As a mom, I savor every opportunity for fewer dishes and less stress.
I believe the perfect family dinner should be equal parts delicious and hassle-free. This one pan chicken and gnocchi recipe ticks all the boxes. It’s quick, easy, and bursting with flavors that appeal to everyone. Even my two-year-old daughter gives it her little chef’s kiss of approval! Plus, who doesn’t love a meal that requires minimal cleanup?
Whether you love cooking meals for your family (or not) or just need a quick and satisfying family dinner, this creamy chicken and gnocchi with mushrooms recipe will become your go-to. One pan, minimal cleanup, and maximum flavor – what more could you ask for?
4 Reasons Why You Should Make This Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi
- Quick & Easy: Ready in just 30 minutes—perfect for those crazy weeknights.
- Kid-Approved: Even the littlest critics can’t resist the creamy goodness.
- Minimal Cleanup: This easy one pot gnocchi recipe is a lifesaver for busy evenings. One pan means less time scrubbing and more time with your family.
- Versatile Ingredients: Feel free to customize with your family’s favorite veggies or add-ins. I added mushrooms it reminds me so much of creamy mushroom chicken.
What is Gnocchi
If you’re like me, the first time I tried Gnocchi I had to google how to pronounce. If you’ve never tried or even heard of gnocchi I am here to tell you all about it. Gnocchi, pronounced “nyo-kee,” is an Italian pasta variant that stands out for its uniquely soft and pillowy texture. They are traditionally made from a blend of mashed potatoes and flour, resulting in a delicate and satisfying consistency. The dough is carefully crafted and then shaped into bite-sized pieces, like dumplings. Once formed, gnocchi are typically boiled briefly until they float to the surface, indicating their readiness.
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs: Tender chicken tights adds so much flavor to the dish. The chicken is seared until cooked then the sauce and gnocchi is cooked in the same pan to soak up all the flavors of the chicken.
- Gnocchi: The pillowy soft texture of gnocchi pairs so well with the creamy sauce.
- Baby Bella Mushrooms: Mushrooms adds rich earthy flavor and satisfying meatiness to the recipe. If you love creamy mushroom chicken, you’ll also love this recipe.
- Heavy Cream: This is the secret to the dish’s creaminess. The gnocchi is cooked in the heavy cream and chicken broth instead of boiling in a separate pot.
- Chicken Broth : Chicken broth infuses the dish with savory flavor but also serves as a liquid base to cook the gnocchi.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Parsley: For Garnish
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi
Season and Sear Chicken
Season chicken thighs with Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper. In a large skillet or pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken thighs for about 5 minutes on each side until browned on all sides and fully cooked. Ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C). Remove chicken and set aside.
Make the Creamy Mushroom Sauce
In the same pot, add chopped onion. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add sliced mushrooms to the pot, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook until the mushrooms release its moisture and softened.
Cook the Gnocchi
Add the chicken broth, heavy cream and gnocchi. Stir well and let it simmer for 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Stir in shredded parmesan cheese, fresh spinach and add the chicken thighs back to the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes until the sauce is bubbly bubbling around the chicken.
Serve the creamy chicken and gnocchi with mushrooms hot and don’t forget to pour some of that creamy sauce over the chicken.
Recipe Tips to Ensure Success
- Use Fresh Ingredients: Opt for fresh and high quality ingredients, especially when it comes to the chicken, mushrooms, and gnocchi.
- Season Chicken Well: Season the chicken generously with Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Don’t Overcook Gnocchi: Gnocchi cooks quickly, so be mindful not to overcook them.
- Taste and Adjust Seasoning: Taste the dish before serving and adjust the seasoning if needed. Sometimes, a pinch of salt or a dash of pepper can make a significant difference.
Recipe Variations and Substitutes
- Instead of chicken thighs, you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- For a vegetarian version, omit the chicken and add more vegetables
- Use cauliflower gnocchi for a lower-carb option.
- Besides mushrooms and spinach, add other vegetables like cherry tomatoes, bell peppers
- You can try sun-dried tomatoes or artichoke hearts for a Mediterranean twist.
What to Serve with Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi
Serve with a side of garlic bread or breadsticks to mop up the delicious creamy sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs?
Absolutely! Chicken breasts work well in this recipe. Just ensure not to overcook them to keep them tender.
Can I make creamy chicken and gnocchi ahead of time?
While the dish is best enjoyed fresh, you can prepare components in advance and assemble just before serving. However, be mindful that the gnocchi may absorb more sauce if made ahead.
What can I substitute for heavy cream?
You can use alternatives like half-and-half, whole milk, or a dairy-free option like coconut cream for a lighter version.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
DID YOU MAKE THIS CREAMY CHICKEN AND GNOCCHI?
Don’t forget to leave a ★ star rating and comment below to let us know much you loved this one pan creamy chicken and gnocchi recipe. We’d love to hear about your experience and any creative variations you’ve come up with.
STAY CONNECTED FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Sign up for my newsletter to receive new recipes right in your inbox!
One Pan Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Creamy Sauce and Gnocchi
- 16 oz potato gnocchi
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese freshly shredded
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Season and Sear Chicken
- Season chicken thighs with Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet or pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken thighs for about 5 minutes on each side until browned on all sides and fully cooked. Ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C). Remove chicken and set aside.
Saute the Veggies
- In the same pot, add chopped onion. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add a drizzle of olive oil if more is needed.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the pot, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook until the mushrooms release its moisture and softened.
Cook the Gnocchi and Sauce
- To the same pot, add the chicken broth, heavy cream and gnocchi. Stir well and let it simmer for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Stir in shredded parmesan, fresh spinach and add the chicken thighs back to the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes until the sauce is bubbly bubbling around the chicken. Garnish with parsley and more parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve the creamy chicken and gnocchi with mushrooms hot and don’t forget to pour some of that creamy sauce over the chicken.