Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is a hot, creamy saucy one pot meal that has all the familiar layers of flavor like traditional lasagna. This quick and easy lasagna soup is ready in just 30 minutes with the help of the instant pot.
This lasagna soup recipe has all the cozy, hearty flavor of classic lasagna but in soup form! But this recipe is made conveniently in an instant pot. Whether you want to save time, use up leftover ingredients, or just try a new instant pot soup recipe, this soup is the perfect fit!
If you do not already have an Instant Pot, now is the time to get one. It’s a game changer and a kitchen essential that I cannot live without, especially those times when I don’t want to be in the kitchen. The Instant Pot makes getting dinner on the table faster and your meals will tastes like they’ve been simmering all day. I pretty much use it for everything especially for soups during the winter months.
Right now the Instant Pot RIO is a best seller on Amazon. You might want to grab one today!
Why This is the Best Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Customizable: Swap or omit ingredients based on your personal preference to make this recipe your own.
- Comfort Food: As the weather gets cooler and we transition into fall and winter, this is the perfect comfort meal.
- Convenient: When you think about soup recipes, you anticipate standing over a large pot on the stove for hours and hours. But this recipe has just 10 minutes of prep and another 15 minutes of cooking time. And it’s all thanks to the instant pot!
What is Lasagna Soup?
Lasagna soup is a thick, creamy tomato-based soup enhanced with Italian sausage crumbles, onions, garlic, dried herbs, beef broth, tomatoes, heavy cream, and pasta. It’s garnished with ricotta cheese so you get a taste of classic lasagna flavor in each spoonful.
- Italian sausage: Whether you use mild or spicy Italian sausage, ensure the casings are removed before adding them to the instant pot.
- Aromatics: I use diced yellow onion and minced garlic cloves.
- Dried herbs: Add dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, and dried parsley.
- Seasoning: I season the soup with smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Beef broth: Use this as the liquid base for your soup. Some recipes use chicken broth or vegetable broth instead.
- Tomatoes: While other recipes may use tomato paste or marinara sauce, I usetwo kinds of tomatoes for that rich, sweet, savory flavor; crushed tomatoes and fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Pasta: Use broken lasagna noodles or Mafaldine Pasta. Use regular lasagna noodles and not oven-ready lasagna noodles.
- Heavy cream: This enriches the texture of the soup so it’s velvety smooth.
- Cheese: This recipe uses three cheeses: ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, and grated parmesan cheese.
- Seasoning: Keep it simple with salt and pepper.
- Dried Parsley: This adds an earthy, peppery taste.
How to Make Lasagna Soup
Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add the Italian sausages and cook, breaking them apart with a spoon or mincer, until they are browned and crumbled. Remove any excess fat.
Add the diced onion, minced garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to the pot. Give it a good stir and sauté for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.
Pour in the beef broth, crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine and allow the soup to come to a rolling boil.
Add the broken lasagna noodles to the pot, ensuring they are submerged in the liquid.
Close the Instant Pot lid and set it to manual high pressure for 4 minutes. Once the cooking time is up, perform a quick pressure release.
While the soup is cooking, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and parsley. Set aside.
Once the pressure is released, carefully open the Instant Pot lid. Stir the soup well. Pour in the heavy creamy and about 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture. Stir until the cheese is melted and the soup is creamy. Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Top each bowl with a dollop of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- After adding the broth, deglaze the bottom of the instant pot so no sausage or onion bits burn.
- Lasagna soup is best when served immediately because the noodles absorb the liquid once stored.
- If the soup is too thick after its pressure cooked, add more beef broth.
- Serve this soup with garlic bread for an even heartier meal.
- Protein: Try adding ground beef or ground turkey for a leaner option.
- Veggies: In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add spinach to the instant pot.
- White lasagna soup: Omit the tomatoes for a creamy, cheesy white lasagna soup.
- Spicy: Add red pepper flakes for a kick of heat.
- Crockpot: Want to cook this low and slow? Make lasagna soup in a slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
Lasagna soup is best when served fresh. However, you can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Refrigerate any of the leftover ricotta mixture in a separate container. Reheat the soup over medium heat on the stovetop. Add water or broth if the soup is too thick.
Why use an Instant Pot for soup?
You can cook soups in a fraction of the time when using an instant pot. Most instant pot soup recipes cook in 15 minutes or less.
Can you freeze lasagna soup?
You can freeze lasagna soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost it in the microwave or overnight in the refrigerator. Because the pasta absorbs the broth as it sits, you may need to add liquid when reheating.
Also keep in mind that the texture of the noodles may change slightly when thawing. I recommend undercooking the noodles slightly or don’t add the noodles until you are serving.
What can I use if I don’t have ricotta cheese?
If you don’t have ricotta cheese, or maybe you don’t like ricotta cheese, you can substitute with cottage cheese or even a dollop of cream cheese for a creamy texture.
Can I use ground turkey instead of ground beef or Italian sausage?
Absolutely, I’ve made this soup using ground turkey and it was just the same.
Can I make lasagna soup vegetarian?
Yes! You can omit the meat and use vegetable broth for a delicious vegetarian version. You can also add vegetables like mushrooms, spinach, or zucchini for extra flavor.
More Soup Recipes:
DID YOU MAKE THIS EASY LASAGNA SOUP RECIPE?
Leave a star rating and comment below to let us know your thoughts. You can also share the recipe on Instagram and tag @eatwell.withlex.
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 lb Italian sausage mild or spicy (casings removed)
- 1 Small yellow onion diced
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp Dried parsley
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 4 cups Beef broth
- 1 18 oz Can or Jar of Crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Broken lasagna noodles or Mafaldine Pasta
- ⅓ cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Dried Parsley
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add the Italian sausages and cook, breaking them apart with a spoon or mincer, until they are browned and crumbled. Remove any excess fat.
- Add the diced onion, minced garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to the pot. Give it a good stir and sauté for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Pour in the beef broth, crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine and allow the soup to come to a rolling boil.
- Add the broken lasagna noodles to the pot, ensuring they are submerged in the liquid.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set it to manual high pressure for 4 minutes. Once the cooking time is up, perform a quick pressure release.
- While the soup is cooking, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and parsley. Set aside.
- Once the pressure is released, carefully open the Instant Pot lid. Stir the soup well.
- Pour in the heavy cream and about 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture. Stir until the cheese is melted and the soup is creamy.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Top each bowl with a dollop of the ricotta cheese mixture.