Hot honey shrimp is jumbo shrimp seasoned, breaded, and air fried to crisp perfection, then coated in a homemade hot honey sauce. Add this easy air fryer shrimp to tacos or salads, serve it with tasty sides like fries or rice, or enjoy it as an appetizer with dipping sauce.
Craving something crunchy, fried, and spicy? Try this Mike’s Hot Honey Fried Chicken Sandwich recipe next!
Hot honey shrimp is crispy air fryer shrimp drenched in a sticky, spicy, sweet honey sauce. This mouthwatering shrimp is so addicting, you’ll want to eat the whole batch. And the hot honey is infused with herbs and peppers for a truly delectable sauce that you can put on anything. The best part is, this dish is ready in just 20 minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Hot Honey Shrimp Recipe
- Quick & Easy: This is ideal for busy weeknights when you want to make a meal in 30 minutes or less. Simply season, bread it, then air fry it. The shrimp cooks in less than 10 minutes then you just glaze it with hot honey.
- Healthier Alternative: Achieve that deep-fried taste and texture without the excess oil. Air frying shrimp also makes for a smoother clean-up process.
- So Versatile: Serve them with your favorite sides to make it a meal or have them as a party appetizer.
- The Sauce: Step up your condiment game with this chili flake-infused honey because it’s finger-lickin’ good!
- Extra Large Shrimp: Peel and devein. I also suggest taking the shells off since we’re coating the shrimp with breadcrumbs. It makes it easier to eat, especially if you plan to add them to a wrap, sandwich, or salad. But ultimately, the choice is yours.
- Panko Breadcrumb: For a delectable crunch, nothing beats this!
- Egg: Coating the seasoned shrimp with egg helps the breadcrumbs stick better. If you don’t want to use egg, use cornstarch instead.
- Seasoning: I season hot honey shrimp with sea salt, ground black pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Avocado Oil Cooking Spray: Use this to prevent the shrimp from sticking to the air fryer basket.
Hot Honey Sauce
- Raw Honey: Any light-flavored honey will do. Just make sure it is fresh and at room temperature for easy mixing.
- Red Hot Sauce: I use Frank’s RedHot Sauce but you can use your favorite hot sauce. Tapatio or sriracha would be tasty options too.
- Unsalted Butter: That buttery flavor mellows the spice and the consistency thickens the sauce.
- Red Pepper Flakes: I use dried and crushed red chili peppers but gochugaru (a mild Korean red pepper flake) is a good alternative.
- Fresh Parsley: For a touch of fresh herby flavor and a pop of color, add this finely chopped.
How to Make Hot Honey Shrimp
Season and Bread Shrimp
In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Toss well until the shrimp is fully coated with the spices.
In a small bowl whisk the egg really well. In another small bowl add the breadcrumbs.
Toss the shrimp in the egg mixture then transfer to the breadcrumbs. Make sure each shrimp is properly coated with breadcrumbs.
Air Fry Shrimp
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Once the air fryer is preheated, add the shrimp to the air fryer basket in a single layer without touching each other and lightly spray with avocado oil cooking spray.
Cook for 4 minutes then flip halfway through and cook for another 4 minutes.
Prepare Hot Honey Sauce
While the shrimp is cooking, make the hot honey sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the honey, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, parley, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and butter. Mix well and simmer for about 3 minutes.
Transfer the cooked shrimp to a bowl and pour the hot honey sauce over the shrimp. Toss well and make sure the shrimp is properly coated with the sauce.
- Make sure to air fry the hot honey shrimp in a single layer so it cooks evenly.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer or the shrimp won’t crisp up.
- Smaller shrimp may need less time to cook. It should only need about 2 minutes on each side.
- Feel free to play around with the ratio of the ingredients in the hot honey so it’s as hot or mild as you like.
- Spicy Honey Garlic Shrimp: For depth of flavor, add minced garlic to the hot honey.
- Saute: Instead of breading the shrimp and frying it, you can saute it over medium-high heat in a large skillet with some butter. After it’s cooked, toss the shrimp in hot honey. (This would be perfect with a little soy sauce and a veggie stir-fry or rice noodles.)
- Up the Spice: Season the shrimp with cayenne pepper for an extra kick of spice.
What to Serve with Hot Honey Shrimp
Pair spicy shrimp with something just as tasty to make a delicious appetizer, snack, or meal. Here are some ideas:
- Tacos: Add these juicy shrimp to some corn or flour tortillas and squeeze a little lime juice over them for a citrusy tang.
- Salad: Make a hot honey shrimp salad. Top your salads with this for a pop of color, crunch, and flavor.
- Sandwich or Wraps: This is the perfect addition to a sandwich or wrap. A hot honey shrimp po boy would be amazing.
- Fries: The kids will love eating this as finger food. Serve it with my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries as healthier, more affordable alternative to fast food.
Can Hot Honey Shrimp Be Made Ahead?
This is best served as soon as it’s cooked.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. In order to keep the shrimp crispy, reheat it in the air fryer for about 3 minutes.
Can I use frozen shrimp for hot honey shrimp?
You can use frozen or fresh shrimp for this recipe. If using frozen, thaw the shrimp before cooking.
How can you tell when the shrimp is done?
Once it turns pink and begins to curl, flip the shrimp. When both sides are opaque, they are fully cooked. This entire process won’t take more than 8 minutes so watch them closely. Otherwise, you will end up with tough, rubbery shrimp.
More Shrimp Recipes:
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a star rating and comment below to let us know your thoughts. You can also share the recipe on Instagram and tag @eatwell.withlex.
Hot Honey Shrimp
- 1 lb Extra Large Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- Avocado Oil Cooking Spray
Hot Honey Sauce
- ⅓ cup Raw Honey
- 3 tbsp Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Toss well until the shrimp is fully coated with the spices.
- In a bowl whisk the egg really well. In another bowl add the breadcrumbs.
- Toss the shrimp in the egg mixture then transfer to the breadcrumbs. Make sure each shrimp is properly coated with breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Once the air fryer is preheated, add the shrimp to the air fryer basket in a single layer without touching each other and lightly spray with avocado oil cooking spray.
- Cook for 4 minutes then flip halfway through and cook for another 4 minutes.