Looking for a hassle-free and delicious family dinner? Honey soy baked chicken and veggies is your answer! With minimal effort, you’ll have a nutritious, budget-friendly meal that’s sure to become a family favorite. Read on for the reasons you should make this tonight and how you can prep it ahead for stress-free weeknight dinners.
Honey Soy Baked Chicken and Veggies
Honey soy chicken and veggies is a convenient but scrumptious family dinner that combines tender baked chicken thighs with a sweet and tangy honey soy glaze, paired with a medley of roasted vegetables. This recipes is not only easy to prepare but also offers a multitude of benefits that make it the ideal choice for a family-friendly weeknight dinner.
Key Components for Honey Soy Baked Chicken
- Chicken: The chicken breasts or thighs serve as a lean protein source, ensuring a satisfying and wholesome meal.
- Honey Soy Glaze: The honey soy sauce glaze adds a burst of flavor to the dish, offering a perfect blend of sweetness from honey and savory notes from soy sauce. This combination creates a deliciously caramelized coating on the chicken during baking.
- Assorted Veggies: The inclusion of colorful vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, and bell peppers not only enhances the visual appeal but also contributes to the nutritional value of the meal.
Reasons Why This is the Idea Family Dinner
Nutritious and Budget-Friendly: The dish is a powerhouse of nutrients, incorporating lean protein and a variety of vegetables. It’s a budget-friendly choice that allows families to enjoy a wholesome meal without compromising on taste or health.
Meal Prep Friendly: You can spend less time in the kitchen during the week by preparing this honey soy chicken in advance. Store the marinated chicken and veggies in the fridge until you’re ready to bake.
One Pan Convenience: Baking everything on a single sheet pan minimizes cleanup, making it a hassle-free option for busy households.
Ingredients for Honey Soy Baked Chicken and Veggies
- Chicken Thighs
- Red Bell Pepper
- Sweet Potato
- Red Onion
- Soy Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Sesame Oil
- Smoked Paprika
- Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Sesame seeds and green onions for garnish
How to Make Honey Soy Baked Chicken and Veggies
Prepare the Chicken:
Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl and season well with smoked paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, rice vinegar, minced garlic, and grated ginger. his is your marinade.
Pour 3/4 cups of the marinade over the chicken thighs, ensuring they are well-coated. Set the remaining marinade aside for later. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 15-20 minutes. For more flavor, you can refrigerate and marinate for a few hours or overnight. I usually let the chicken marinate while I prep the veggies.
Prepare the Vegetables:
Cut the mixed vegetables into even bite-sized pieces. Arrange the veggies in a large pan or dish and generously season with smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
Assemble the Dish and Bake:
Place the marinated chicken thighs on top of or around the mixed vegetable (if there is space).
Drizzle the remaining marinade over the chicken and veggies. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender. Baste the chicken with the sauce halfway through for added flavor. Once done, baste again and broil for 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onions if desired. Serve the baked honey soy chicken and veggies over rice or quinoa.
How long do I cook chicken thighs in the oven and what temperature?
To ensure that your chicken thighs are cooked to a safe internal temperature and have a delicious crispy exterier, you can follow these general guidelines for baking chicken thighs in the oven:
Temperature: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
Cooking Time: Bake bone-in chicken thighs for approximately 35-45 minutes and boneless for about 20 minutes. The exact time may vary depending on the size of the thighs and your specific oven, so it’s essential to check for doneness.
Internal Temperature: The chicken thighs are done when they reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature by inserting it into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone.
TIP: Keep in mind that boneless and bone-in chicken thighs may have slightly different cooking times. Always adjust the cooking time based on the characteristics of the chicken thighs you are using. If you’re cooking bone-in thighs, they might require a few extra minutes in the oven.
Additionally, for a crispier skin, you can broil the chicken thighs for an additional 2-3 minutes after baking, but be sure to keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
Recipes Tips for Honey Soy Baked Chicken
- Marinate for Flavor: Allow the chicken thighs to marinate in the honey soy sauce mixture for at least 30 minutes before baking. You can even do this overnight which why I highly recommend prepping ahead.
- Pierce or Score the Chicken: To help the marinade penetrate the chicken and allow for even cooking, you can lightly piece the chicken thighs with a fork or make shallow cute (scoring) on the meat.
- Baste During Cooking: Baste the chicken thighs with the honey soy sauce mixture halfway through the baking time. This adds extra flavor and keeps the chicken moist.
- Evenly Cut The Veggies: Ensure that the vegetables are uniformly cut to promote even cooking. This helps each component reach the desired level of doneness simultaneously.
- Prepare Extra Glaze for Serving: Set aside a small portion of the honey soy glaze before marinating to use as a finishing sauce for serving. Drizzle it over the baked chicken and veggies just before serving.
Substitutes and Variations
- Substitute soy sauce with tamari or coconut aminos for a gluten-free option. Alternatively, you can use low-sodium soy sauce if you want to reduce the salt content.
- Mix and match vegetables based on what you have or prefer. Zucchini, cauliflower, or asparagus are great options.
- Replace chicken with salmon fillets for a seafood variation. Cooking time will vary.
- Skip the chicken and m
How to Store and Reheat Baked Chicken
Store any leftovers in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
Honey soy glazed Chicken and Veggies embodies the perfect blend of convenience, nutrition, and palate-pleasing flavors. Its ease of preparation, versatile appeal, and family-friendly nature make it the ideal solution for those seeking a quick, delicious, and satisfying weeknight dinner that the whole family can enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it necessary to marinate the chicken?
Marinating adds flavor to the chicken, but if you’re short on time, you can simply let the chicken thighs rest in the marinade while you prepare the veggies. However, marinating enhances the taste.
Can I prepare the marinade ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the marinade in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Just make sure to mix it well before using.
How do I know when the chicken is cooked through?
Use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C). The juices should run clear, and the chicken should no longer be pink in the center.
What can I serve with baked chicken thighs?
This dish goes well with rice, quinoa, or noodles. You can also serve it with a side of salad for a complete meal.
More Easy Family Dinners You’ll Love
DID YOU MAKE THIS HONEY SOY BAKED CHICKEN AND VEGGIES?
Don’t forget to leave a ★ star rating and comment below to let us know much you loved it. We’d love to hear about your experience and any creative variations you’ve come up with.
STAY CONNECTED FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Sign up for my newsletter to receive new recipes right in your inbox!
Honey Soy Bake Chicken Thighs
Honey Soy Chicken Marinade
- 4 chicken thighs skin on
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup parsnips peeled and sliced
- 1 cup red bell peppers sliced
- 1 cup sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sesame seeds and green onions for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl and season well with smoked paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, olive oil, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger. This is the marinade.
- Pour 3/4 cups of the marinade over the chicken thighs, ensuring they are well-coated. Set the remaining marinade aside for later. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 15-20 minutes. For more flavor, you can refrigerate and marinate for a few hours or overnight. I usually let the chicken marinate while I prep the veggies.
- Cut the mixed vegetables into even bite-sized pieces. Arrange the veggies in a large pan or dish and generously season with smoked paprika, salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix it together to ensure all the pieces are coated with spices.
- Place the marinated chicken thighs on top of or around the mixed vegetable in the baking dish. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the chicken and veggies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender. TIP: Bake bone-in chicken thighs for approximately 35-45 minutes and boneless for about 20 minutes.Baste the chicken with the sauce halfway through for added flavor. Once done, baste again and broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onions if desired. Serve the baked honey soy chicken and veggies over rice or quinoa.
This recipe is excellent for meal prep; marinate the chicken and veggies in advance, and store them in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.