Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts are irresistible delicious, super quick and easy side dish. Fresh Brussels sprouts are generously tossed with a blend of thyme, parsley red pepper flakes, and garlic infused butter. They are then roasted atop a bed of Parmesan cheese until perfectly crisp. This roasted Brussels sprouts recipe is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, holiday dinner or even weeknight meals.
If you’ve been on the hunt for the perfect side dish, then today is your lucky day. This Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts recipe is not just a crowd-pleaser but an absolute game changer. I can assure you that, it is not your average Brussels Sprouts recipe. These roasted Brussels sprouts are well seasoned and cooked until extra crispy. I paired them with my delicious homemade honey mustard dipping sauce and it turned out to be a delicious combo.
All together, you can serve these roasted Brussels as a side dish, appetizer or a healthy snack with my honey mustard dipping sauce.
My Fiance was never a fan of Brussels sprouts until the day he tried these Parmesan Brussels sprouts. It took a lot of well-worth convincing because he declared them as the best he’s ever tasted.
The Best Brussels Sprouts Recipe for Any Occasion
Whether you’re planning a special holiday dinner, a quick weeknight meal, or just craving a new twist on Brussels sprouts, this easy side dish recipe is bound to become a family favorite. It’s versatile enough to complement various occasions.
Picture it at your Thanksgiving table, stealing the spotlight with its irresistible flavors and crunch.
All the Reasons Why You’ll Love these Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Incredible Flavor: The combination of crispy Brussels sprouts with garlic, herbs and Parmesan Cheese creates a mouthwatering flavor combination.
Easy to Make: This is a super straightforward Brussels sprouts recipe that doesn’t require hours in the kitchen, making it practical choice for busy day.
Perfect Side Dish for Holidays: These crispy Brussels sprouts make a versatile and memorable side dish that complements a wide range of main courses. Serve them for Thanksgivings feasts, holiday dinners and Christmas.
Ingredients for Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels Sprouts: The star of the dish. They become tender on the inside and develop a crispy texture on the outside when roasted.
- Butter: Butter: is the key to achieving a golden, crispy exterior on the Brussels sprouts. It also adds a rich, buttery flavor to the dish.
- Dried Parsley: Dried parsley adds a touch of herbaceous freshness to the Brussels sprouts.
- Dried Thyme: Its warm, slightly woody flavor blends with the other ingredients to create a savory and well-balanced taste
- Red Pepper Flakes: Red pepper flakes provide a subtle kick of heat to the dish without overpowering it. If you like spiciness, you can even add more.
- Garlic: Garlic infuses the Brussels sprouts with a rich, savory aroma and a bold, garlicky flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese plays a crucial role in creating the signature “Parmesan Crusted” element of the dish. It forms a crispy, golden crust around the Brussels sprouts when melted and roasted.
- Salt and Pepper: Essential seasonings that enhance and balance the flavors of the dish.
How to Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Prepare Brussels Sprouts
Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C) and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Trim the stem end of each Brussels sprout and remove any damaged outer leaves. Cut each sprout in half.
Prepare Seasonings and Garlic Butter
In a small bowl, melt the butter. Stir in the dried parsley, dried thyme, red pepper flakes, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the trimmed Brussels sprouts, Parmesan cheese and the garlic herb butter mixture. Toss the sprouts until they are well-coated with the seasoned butter.
Arrange the Baking Sheet
Generously sprinkle a layer of grated Parmesan cheese on the line baking sheet. Spread the Brussels sprouts evenly on the prepared baking sheet, making sure they are cut-side down to maximize the crispiness.
Roast in the Oven
Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for about 20-25 minutes, or until the Brussels sprouts are tender on the inside and have developed a golden, crispy crust on the outside. You can check for doneness by inserting a fork into one of the sprouts; it should go in easily.
Tips for Making Crispy Brussels Sprouts
Select Fresh Brussels Sprouts: Start with fresh, firm Brussels sprouts. Avoid those with brown spots or signs of wilting.
Consistent Sizing: Try to cut the Brussels sprouts to a consistent size. This ensures that they cook evenly and develop a uniform crispy crust.
Use Parchment Paper: Lining the baking sheet with parchment paper helps prevent the Brussels sprouts from sticking to the pan plus helps them to get extra crispy.
Don’t Overcrowd the Pan: Ensure there is enough space between the sprouts on the baking sheet. Overcrowding can trap steam and prevent the Brussels sprouts from becoming as crispy as desired.
Recipe Variations and Substitutes
Add Bacon: Roast Brussels sprouts with bacon bits adds a smoky, savory twist.
Gouda or Cheddar Cheese: Replace Parmesan with other cheeses like Gouda or cheddar to create a different cheesy flavor profile.
Vegan Variation: Use vegan butter or olive oil instead of regular butter, and opt for vegan Parmesan cheese for a plant-based option.
Storing Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts
Let the Brussels sprouts cool to room temperature then transfer them to an airtight container. f the sprouts are still on the baking sheet, you can cover it tightly with aluminum foil. Store the container or covered baking sheet in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Reheat Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spread the Brussels sprouts out on a baking sheet. If they are still on the original baking sheet, you can use that. Reheat them in the oven for about 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Make sure to keep an eye o them to avoid overcooking.
If they lose their crispiness, you can broil the for a minute or two.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best temperature for roasting Brussels sprouts?
The best temperature for roasting Brussels sprouts is typically around 400°F.
Why are my Parmesan roasted Brussels sprouts not crispy?
Roasted Brussels sprouts may not turn crispy if they are overcrowded on the baking sheet, if they are not properly dried before roasting, or if the oven temperature is too low. To ensure crispiness, make sure the sprouts have space, are dry, and are roasted at the recommended temperature.
Are crispy roasted Brussels sprouts healthy?
Yes, crispy roasted Brussels sprouts are a healthy side dish. They are a good source of vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. However, the addition of butter or excessive cheese in this recipe may increase the calorie content.
Can I make Parmesan crusted Brussels sprouts ahead of time for a party or holiday meal?
Even though they are best when freshly roasted, you can make them ahead of time. Prepare them a day in advance, and store them in the refrigerator then reheat them in the oven to maintain their crispiness.
More Side Dish Recipe You’ll Love:
Harissa Whole Roasted Cauliflower
DID YOU MAKE THESE PARMESAN CRUSTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS?
Don’t forget to leave a ★ star rating and comment below to let us know much you loved this recipe. We’d love to hear about your experience and any creative variations you’ve come up with.
STAY CONNECTED FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Sign up for my newsletter to receive new recipes right in your inbox!
Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes adjust to your spice preference
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced or grated
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Honey Mustard Dippin Sauce (Optional)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp honey more or less if needed
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Prepare Brussels Sprouts:
- Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C) and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Trim the stem end of each Brussels sprout and remove any damaged outer leaves. Cut each sprout in half.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter. Stir in the dried parsley, dried thyme, red pepper flakes, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts and the garlic herb butter mixture. Toss the sprouts until they are well-coated with the seasoned butter.
- Sprinkle a little 1-2 tbsp of the parmesan cheese over the Brussels sprouts and toss them again.
Arrange on Baking Sheet:
- Generously sprinkle a layer of grated Parmesan cheese on the line baking sheet.
- Spread the Brussels sprouts evenly on the prepared baking sheet, making sure they are cut-side down to maximize the crispiness.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for about 20-25 minutes, or until the Brussels sprouts are tender on the inside and have developed a golden, crispy crust on the outside. You can check for doneness by inserting a fork into one of the sprouts; it should go in easily.
- Transfer the Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts to a serving platter and serve hot.
Honey Mustard Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the regular mustard, dijon mustard, honey, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk the mixture together until it’s smooth and well combined. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings if needed. Add more honey or mustard to reach desired balance of sweet and tangy.
- If you have time, refrigerate the sauce for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. This step is optional but can enhance the sauce’s overall taste.