Maple Dijon Roasted Carrots are delicious oven roasted carrots tossed in a sweet and savory maple Dijon mustard sauce. The carrots are lovingly coated with the glaze and fresh thyme, roasted until tender then topped with a creamy spiced yogurt sauce. This is an easy glazed carrot recipe for a healthy holiday side dish or even a quick weeknight meal.
Looking for more family-friendly side dishes? Check out my Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts.
These maple dijon roasted carrots are a game-changer. They are easy, healthy, and downright delicious. They bring together the warmth of maple syrup, the zing of Dijon mustard, and the comfort of perfectly roasted carrots.
When it comes to family meals, simplicity and deliciousness are key. This sweet and savory roasted carrots recipe checks both boxes with flying colors. The sweet and savory combination appeals to both young and grown taste buds, making it a hit for family dinners. Plus, it’s an ingenious way to sneak in some veggies for the little ones.
My two year old toddler DEVOURED these carrots.
So, if you’re looking for a family-friendly, toddler-approved, and crowd-pleasing side dish that adds a dash of magic to your holiday dinners, give our maple Dijon roasted carrots recipe a try. The recipe may be straightforward, but the smiles it brings are nothing short of extraordinary.
The Secret Sauce: Spiced Yogurt Sauce
One thing that takes this dish to a whole new level is the spiced yogurt sauce. The secret behind its exceptional flavor is none other than a meticulous blend of cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, and ginger from Frontier Co-op . It is creamy, tangy, and spiced sauce that adds a delightful contracts to the sweetness of the carrots.
It’s not just a topping; it’s the finishing touch that makes this recipe standout!
Using Frontier Co-op spices has become a non-negotiable aspect of our kitchen – a guarantee that we are infusing our dishes with the highest quality ingredients available. So, when it comes to crafting memorable meals, using quality spices like those from Frontier Co-op is an absolute game-changer.
The unparalleled quality of Frontier Co-op spices is evident in the rich and bold flavors they contribute to this roasted carrot recipe.
Why You’ll Love These Maple Glazed Carrots with Dijon Mustard
Easy Peasy: This recipe is as simple as it gets. No complicated steps, just toss, roast and garnish.
Family-Friendly: It’s a hit with all ages, even the little ones! The simplicity and deliciousness make it a perfect family-friendly dish.
Perfect Holiday Side Dish: The vibrant colors and inviting fragrance make it an ideal side dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, adding a festive touch to your table.
Ingredients for Maple Dijon Roasted Carrots
- Fresh Carrots: The star of the show, providing a sweet and earthy base for the dish.
- Maple Syrup: Adds natural sweetness and caramelization during roasting.
- Dijon Mustard: Brings a tangy and savory kick that complements the sweetness of the maple syrup.
- Olive Oil: Used for roasting the carrots.
- Garlic: Infuses the dish with a subtle savory aroma and flavor.
- Fresh Thyme: Adds a burst of freshness and herbaceous notes, balancing the sweetness of the carrots.
- Salt and Pepper: Essential for seasoning and enhancing of the dish.
- Fresh Parsley: A bright and fresh garnish that adds a pop of color and an additional layer of flavor.
- Shaved Almonds or Candied Pecans (Optional): Offers crunch and nutty flavor, complementing the tender carrots.
Ingredients for Spiced Yogurt Sauce
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Provides a creamy and tangy base for the sauce, offering a cooling contrast to the roasted carrots.
- Maple Syrup: Adds a touch of sweetness that balances the savory spices.
- Ground Cumin: Introduces warm and earthy tones to the sauce, enhancing its depth.
- Ground Coriander: Offers a citrusy and slightly sweet flavor, contributing to the overall spice blend.
- Paprika: Infuses a smoky and slightly sweet undertone, complementing the roasted character of the carrots.
- Cinnamon: Adds warmth and a hint of sweetness, and compliments the maple syrup.
- Salt and Pepper: Essential for balancing the flavors and bringing out the nuances of the spices.
- Lemon Juice: Brightens the sauce with a citrusy zing.
How to Make Roasted Carrots with Maple and Dijon Mustard
Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, olive oil, thyme , salt, and pepper.
Place the chopped carrots in a bowl or baking sheet. Drizzle the maple, Dijon mustard sauce over them. Toss the carrots to ensure they are evenly coated.
Roast the carrots in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until they are tender and caramelized, tossing them once or twice during the cooking time.
While the carrots are roasting, prepare the spiced yogurt sauce. In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, maple syrup, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper and lemon juice. For a thinner sauce, add water (1 tsp at a time). For a sweeter sauce, add more maple syrup.
Once the carrots are roasted to your desired level of tenderness and have a nice caramelized color, remove them from the oven.
To serve, arrange the roasted carrots on a platter or bowl, drizzle the spiced yogurt sauce over them, and garnish with shaved almonds or candied pecans and fresh parsley.
Tips for Making the Perfect Oven Roasted Carrots
Uniform Size: Try to cut the carrots into uniform sizes to ensure even roasting. This helps them cook evenly, preventing some from being undercooked while others are overdone.
Quality Maple Syrup and Dijon Mustard: Use high-quality maple syrup and Dijon mustard for a richer and more nuanced flavor. The quality of these ingredients significantly impacts the final taste of the dish.
Adjust Sweetness and Tanginess: Taste your maple syrup and Dijon mustard mixture before tossing it with the carrots. Adjust the ratio to your liking, balancing the sweetness and tanginess according to your preference.
Spiced Yogurt Sauce Topping: Don’t skip the spiced yogurt sauce – it adds a creamy and flavorful element that complements the sweetness of the carrots. Adjust the spice levels in the sauce to suit your taste.
Recipe Variations and Substitutes
- Rainbow Carrots: Use a mix of colorful carrots for a visually stunning dish.
- Additional Seasonings: Experiment with different herbs like rosemary, oregano, or parsley for varied aromatic notes.
- Citrus Zest: Add a burst of freshness with a sprinkle of lemon zest.
- Vegan Version: Use a dairy-free yogurt alternative for the spiced yogurt sauce.
- Additional Toppings: Crumble some feta or goat cheese on top before serving for a creamy element.
How to Store Roasted Carrots
Make sure to only add the spiced yogurt sauce if serving immediately. Allow the roasted carrots to cool to room temperature before transferring them to an airtight container. If you have any remaining spiced yogurt sauce, store it separately in a sealed container to maintain its freshness.
How to Reheat Oven Roasted Carrots
Oven: Preheat your oven to around 350°F (175°C). Spread the carrots on a baking sheet and cover them with foil to prevent excessive drying. Reheat for about 10-15 minutes or until they reach your desired warmth. Keep an eye on the carrots to prevent overcooking during reheating.
Microwave:If reheating in a microwave, Place a damp paper towel over the carrots in a microwave-safe dish to add moisture. Reheat in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval until they reach the desired temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best type of carrot for roasting?
While any type of carrot can be roasted, larger varieties or whole carrots work well. Look for fresh, firm carrots with vibrant color.
How do I prevent the carrots from sticking to the pan during roasting?
Toss the carrots in oil or a glaze before roasting, and use parchment paper or a well-greased pan to prevent sticking.
Can I use a different type of mustard?
Yes, you can experiment with different mustards, such as whole grain or spicy brown mustard, for a unique twist in flavor.
Is it necessary to use Frontier Co-op spices?
While Frontier Co-op spices are recommended for their quality, you can use other high-quality brands if needed. The key is to use fresh and flavorful spices for the best results. You can find Frontier Co-op spices at your nearest Whole Foods Market.
Can I make this recipe without the spiced yogurt sauce?
Certainly! The Maple Dijon Roasted Carrots are delicious on their own. The spiced yogurt sauce adds an extra layer of flavor, but the dish is still delightful without it.
More Side Dishes You’ll Love
DID YOU MAKE THESE MAPLE DIJON ROASTED CARROTS?
Don’t forget to leave a ★ star rating and comment below to let us know much you loved this. We’d love to hear about your experience and any creative variations you’ve come up with.
STAY CONNECTED FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Sign up for my newsletter to receive new recipes right in your inbox!
Maple Dijon Roasted Carrots
- 1 lb of fresh carrots
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Fresh Parsley for garnish
- Shaved almonds or candied pecans for garnish optional
For the Spiced Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, Dijon mustard, minced garlic,olive oil, thyme ,salt, and pepper.
- Place the chopped carrots in a bowl or baking sheet. Drizzle the maple Dijon mixture over them. Toss the carrots to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Spread the carrots on the prepared baking sheet then roast them in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until they are tender and caramelized. Toss them once or twice during the cooking time.
- While the carrots are roasting, prepare the spiced yogurt sauce. In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, maple syrup, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper and lemon juice. For a thinner sauce, add water (1 tsp at a time). For a sweeter sauce, add more maple syrup.
- Once the carrots are roasted to your desired level of tenderness and have a nice caramelized color, remove them from the oven.
- To serve, arrange the roasted carrots on a platter or bowl, drizzle the spiced yogurt sauce over them, and garnish with shaved almonds or candied pecans and fresh fresh parsley.