Curry lentil soup offers a harmonious blend of aromatic spices, flavors, and nutritional benefits, making it a beloved comforting dish for many people. This soup effortlessly marries the velvety richness of lentils with creamy coconut milk and warm spices like cumin, coriander, and turmeric. This easy to make one-pot meal is the ultimate solution for those busy weeknights when you crave a nourishing meal without the fuss.
Soup season is here and this one pot curry lentil soup is an easy, flavorful dinner recipe that your family will love. This soup is cozy, comforting and packed with tons of warm aromatic spices. It can be made in under an hour, making it the perfect weeknight meal.
Spending quality time with my family is so important to me and there is something about eating dinner together that makes it so special. Because of that, I dread spending a lot of time in the kitchen cooking. I am an easy weeknight dinner kind of gal which is why I love recipes like this one-pot curry lentil soup. It’s super easy and quick to make, requires little effort and because it only uses one-pot, clean up is a breeze. So if you’re looking for a delicious and easy weeknight dinner recipe that your entire family can enjoy, try this curry lentil soup.
Why This is the The Best Curry Lentil Soup Recipe
- Hearty and Satisfying: The combination of lentils, vegetables and fresh herbs and spices creates a hearty and filling meal. This is one of our go-to soup recipes whenever we want a substantial and nourishing dish.
- Versatile: You can easily customize curry lentil soup to suit your preference. Whether you prefer a milder or spicier flavor, you can adjust the spices to create the right balance to your liking.
- Easy to Prepare: This curry lentil soup is a one-pot meal that is relatively easy to make. Even if you have limited cooking experience, I believe you can nail this.
- Leftover-friendly: One thing that I love the most about this soup is that it stores well. It is especially freezer-friendly making it an excellent dish for meal prep, plus, it can be easily reheated. I might be bias but I think it tastes even better the next day.
Ingredients for Curry Lentil Soup:
To make curry lentil soup you will need a variety of spices, herbs, and vegetables. This soup is also very versatile so you can add any vegetable you like and adjust the spices to your palate.
- Lentils: The heart of this soup, providing a protein-rich and heart base.
- Curry Spices: A blend of spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, bay leaf and cinnamon infuses the soup with warmth and depth of flavor.
- Vegetables: Carrots, onions, and bell peppers adds colors, texture and flavor to the soup.
- Fresh Ginger and Garlic: These add an aromatic complexity to the soup and enhance its flavor profile.
- Fresh Cilantro: This add a refreshing herbal flavor.
- Crushed tomato: This contributes acidity and a hint of sweetness to the soup plus also helps to balance the flavors of the curry spices.
- Coconut Milk: Creamy coconut milk adds a velvety texture and a subtle, slightly sweet undertone that balances the spices.
- Vegetable Broth: Serves as the liquid base of the soup.
- Olive Oil: Used for sautéing the vegetables and spices.
- Lime juice: This brighten up the soup and complements the earthy flavors of lentils and curry.
How to Make Curry Lentil Soup:
Sauté Aromatics: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and red bell pepper and sauté for about 3 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, and chili powder.
Add the Vegetables: Add the diced carrots and rinsed lentils to the pot. Cook for a few minutes until the carrots start to soften and the spices are fragrant.
Add Liquid Base: Pour in the diced tomatoes (with their juices), vegetable broth, salt and pepper, and bay leaf . Stir well, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are tender. Pour in the coconut milk and bring the soup to a simmer for additional 10 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally.
Season and Finish: Once the lentils are cooked, stir in the lime juice. Taste the soup and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. Adjust the other spices if needed.
Ladle the curry lentil soup into bowls, garnish with coconut milk and chopped fresh cilantro for a burst of freshness.
What to Serve with Curry Lentil Soup:
Curry lentil soup is a hearty and flavorful dish that can be served on its own or with other side dishes. Some of my favorite side dishes to pair with lentil soup are naan, crusty bread or over steamed white or brown rice. My go-to is always garlic naan that I love to dip directly into the soup.
- Always rinse the lentils thoroughly before using them. This helps to remove any debris or excess starch.
- Take time to sauté onions, garlic and spices at the beginning to enhance the depth of flavor in the soup.
- Use coconut milk and tomatoes to balance the spices and ensure that the spices don’t overpower the dish.
- Be mindful not to overcook the lentils, as they can become mushy.
Can Curry Lentil Soup Be Made Ahead:
Absolutely! Curry lentil soup actually tastes even better the next day as the flavors continue to meld. You can make a batch ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer.
Storing Leftover: Can I Freeze Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk?
One of the best things about this soup is that it stores well. You can store this lentil soup in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow the soup to completely cool, then transfer it to airtight containers or freezer-safe bags.
I always make a big batch and store it in the freezer in Stasher bowls or bags. Stasher bags are a great way to store food like soups and stews and it can go from the freezer straight into the oven, microwave or on the stovetop for reheating. For best results, reheat this soup on the stovetop over low heat.
Can I use different types of lentils for curry lentil soup?
Yes, you can use various types of lentils such as green, brown, red or yellow lentils. Each type will result in a slightly different texture and flavor, so feel free to experiment and find your favorite.
Is curry lentil soup vegan-friendly?
Yes, this curry lentil soup is made with only vegan-friendly ingredients. Just ensure that any additional ingredients you add such as toppings and sides, are also vegan-friendly.
Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
You can customize the soup by adding vegetables like spinach, kale, zucchini, or sweet potatoes.
Can I make this soup in an Instant Pot?
Yes! You can definitely make curry lentil soup in an Instant Pot for a quicker and convenient cooking process. Once you add the liquid base for this recipe, set the cooking time to 10-12 minutes on high pressure and that’s it. Season and finish as noted in the recipe below.
Looking for more soup recipes like this? Try these next:
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- Jamaican Red Peas Soup
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a star rating and comment below to let us know your thoughts. You can also share the recipe on Instagram and tag @eatwell.withlex.
Curry Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tso ground cinnamon
- 1 cup lentils rinsed
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetables broth
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper adjust to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and red bell pepper and sauté for about 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, and chili powder.
Add the Vegetables
- dd the diced carrots and rinsed lentils to the pot. Cook for a few minutes until the carrots start to soften and the spices are fragrant.
Add Liquid Base
- Pour in the diced tomatoes (with their juices), vegetable broth, salt and pepper, and bay leaf . Stir well, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Pour in the coconut milk and bring the soup to a simmer for additional 10 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally.
Season and Finish
- Once the lentils are cooked, stir in the lime juice. Taste the soup and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. Adjust the other spices if needed.
- Ladle the curry lentil soup into bowls, garnish with coconut milk and chopped fresh cilantro for a burst of freshness.