This Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins recipe is simply the best. They are super easy to make, require only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen and taste incredibly good. From the fresh juicy blueberries to the perfectly moist crumbs, and nutty browned butter flavor, you’ll never want any other blueberry muffin.
The Secret Ingredient: Brown Butter
Imagine traditional blueberry muffins elevated with a bold and nutty buttery flavor. Don’t be intimidated because browning butter is pretty quick and easy. It is only one ingredient that easily enhances the flavor of any recipe. Here’s how to make brown butter:
- Start by heating the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. I highly recommend cutting the butter into pieces to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Stir the butter until melted and it will begin to foam and sizzle but make sure to whisk constantly. The butter will start turning golden brown with specks on the bottom. Continue to whisk for about 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Immediately transfer the browned butter to a bowl to prevent burning and cool completely.
- Tips for success: Cube the butter, stir as much as you can, use a saucepan that will make the brown color visible, remove from heat immediately to prevent burning. Burnt butter is the opposite of what we want to accomplish.
2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, browned
1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
1/3 cup plain yogurt, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Topping
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Cut the butter into even pieces and melt in a saucepan over medium heat until golden brown. Make sure to stir constantly and remove from heat once brown specks start to form. Transfer browned butter into a bowl and allow it to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the topping to make crumbles. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and sugar together until combined. Make sure to not over whisk the eggs. Add brown butter, milk, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold until flour is no longer visible. Once the batter is formed, toss blueberries in flour then add them to the batter.
- Spoon the batter into muffin liners, filling them all the way to the top. Sprinkle the topping on each muffin and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the pan and enjoy.