Broccoli cheese bites are crispy, chewy bite-sized treats that are perfect for baby led weaning or toddlers who need finger food options. They are packed with protein, fiber, and plenty of flavor. Your kids will love the cheesy taste and crispy texture, plus, its a great way to sneak in some vegetables into your children’s diet. Parents can enjoy them as a healthy appetizer, tasty side dish at brunch, or a nutritious snack the whole family can enjoy whenever!
As a toddler parents, I know that introducing your kids to a variety of foods can be a challenge — especially those with picky eaters. Baked broccoli cheese bites are the perfect solution because they are healthy treats for any time of the day. you can serve them as a nutritious snack, lunch and even dinner.
They remind me of mini quiches. They have a light crisp coating and are soft and fluffy inside. With eggs, cheddar cheese, broccoli, and breadcrumbs for a slight crunch, these savory broccoli bites are absolutely delicious!
Why This is the Best Broccoli Cheese Bites Recipe
- Healthy Treat. Broccoli is a nutrient-rich vegetable.
- Great for Babies & Toddlers. This finger food is easy for babies (9 months and older) to grasp and eat but is also great for picky eaters. They’ll love the cheesy taste and parents can sneak in a veggie serving.
- Perfectly Portable. On the go? This is a great lunchbox idea and perfect for eating on the road.
- Make Ahead Meal. These are freezer-friendly. Make them in advance and reheat them whenever you need a quick and nutritious meal for kids!
Broccoli Cheese Bites Ingredients
- Broccoli: Fresh broccoli is preferred. Cooked and roughly chopped into even bite-sized pieces.
- Cheddar cheese: Grate the cheese.
- Panko breadcrumbs: This adds a nice crunch.
- Onion: Diced.
- Fresh parsley: Add these finely chopped. They add a fresh herby flavor and a pop of color.
- Seasoning: I season it simply with garlic powder, salt (omit salt if serving to babies under 12 months old), and black pepper.
- Eggs: This acts as a binder and holds all the ingredients together.
- Avocado oil cooking spray: This prevents the bites from sticking to the muffin pan.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Bites
Steam or Boil Broccoli
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Steam or boil the broccoli florets for 3-5 minutes until tender. Drain and roughly chop the cooked broccoli florets into small pieces then set aside.
To a large bowl, add the chopped broccoli, cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper and eggs. Mix it together until the ingredients are well combined.
Fill The Muffin Tin
Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with avocado oil cooking spray then fill each cavity with about 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Make sure to pack it in and lightly press down.
Bake Broccoli Cheese Bites
Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Add-Ins: These bites are tasty as is but you can add chopped bacon, cauliflower, or quinoa for a little something extra.
Air Fried Broccoli Cheese Bites: Roll the ingredients into balls and add them to an air fryer basket set to 350°F for about 7-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
Cheese: Instead of cheddar, you can use Monterrey jack cheese, Velveeta, or mozzarella (a low-sodium option).
Crunchy: Instead of breadcrumbs, you can try crumbled Ritz crackers.
- Each ingredient should be finely chopped because these are bite-sized.
- Use freshly grated cheese because pre-shredded cheese has a waxy coating that prevents it from melting as easily.
- Make broccoli bites in advance and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Store leftover broccoli cheese bites in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze for up to 3 months. You can reheat in the oven, microwave, or air fryer.
Is broccoli & cheese healthy?
Yes! They are low in carbs and keto-friendly. Use a moderate amount of cheese to keep it healthy.
Can I use frozen broccoli?
You can use frozen broccoli but make sure the broccoli is dried before adding it to the other ingredients. Too much moisture will make the broccoli bites mushy.
More Baby and Toddler Recipes:
DID YOU MAKE THIS BROCCOLI CHEESE BITES RECIPE?
Leave a star rating and comment below to let us know your thoughts. You can also share the recipe on Instagram and tag @eatwell.withlex.
Broccoli Cheese Bites
- 1½ cups Broccoli cooked and roughly chopped
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese grated
- ½ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Onion diced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- Avocado oil cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Steam or boil the broccoli florets for 3-5 minutes until tender. Drain and roughly chop the cooked broccoli florets into small pieces. Set side.
- To a large bowl, add the chopped broccoli, cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper and eggs. Mix it together until the ingredients are well combined.
- Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with avocado oil cooking spray then fill each cavity with about 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Make sure to pack it in and lightly press down.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.