Air fryer sweet potato fries are seasoned and then air fried to crispy, crunchy perfection for a delicious snack or side dish that’s ready in minutes! Healthier than french fries and quicker than baking, enjoy these homemade air fryer sweet potato fries with burgers, sandwiches, or your favorite dipping sauce.
For more air fryer recipes, try my Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets next.
Air fryer sweet potato fries have a crisp outside, and a warm creamy center. How does a single fry manage to pack so much flavor and texture? The key to the best air fryer sweet potato fries is soaking them in ice cold water before cooking.
This method takes some time but it’s so worth it! Soaking sweet potatoes removes excess starch and results in crispy air fryer sweet potato fries every time. Craving fast food fries? Give these a try instead!
Why This is the Best Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- A Healthier Side: Sweet potato fries are an excellent source of fiber and potassium but we lose those benefits when we order them deep-fried at restaurants. Save calories (and some grease) by air frying them instead.
- Super Easy to Make: Simply slice, soak, dry, season, and air fry!
- Shareable: This recipe makes enough to share but you won’t want to! Once you bite into one fry, you won’t stop until they’re gone!
- Versatile: Whether you eat them as is, or serve them with a delicious entree, one thing is for sure; they won’t last long!
- Sweet Potatoes: I use about 2 large sweet potatoes. They shrink in the air fryer so you want to use bigger sweet potatoes.
- Avocado Oil: I use this instead of olive oil because it has a higher smoking point. And a little bit goes a long way.
- Seasoning: I keep the seasoning simple with sea salt, ground black pepper, smoked paprika, and garlic powder.
- Cornstarch: This is a key ingredient because it makes a crispy coating.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Slice & Soak Sweet Potatoes
Peel the potatoes into about 1/4-inch strips. Place the potatoes in a large bowl with cold water and soak for at least 30 minutes. Drain and rinse the potatoes then blot dry them with a clean towel. Make sure the bowl is dry as well.
Preheat the Air Fryer & Season the Sweet Potato Fries
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Meanwhile, mix together the pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Leave the salt for the end.
Toss the sweet potatoes with avocado oil then sprinkle the spice mixture over the sweet potatoes. Toss well making sure that each piece is coated evenly.
Air Fry Sweet Potato Fries
Add the sweet potatoes to the air fryer in an even layer without overlapping. This will ensure that they cook evenly and crispy.
Air fry them for 8-10 minutes, turning them halfway through. The cook time may vary depending on your air fryer so make sure to check them throughout the cooking.
Sprinkle it with sea salt and fresh parsley. Serve warm and enjoy.
- Soak them in a cold water bath in order to remove some of the excess starch.
- Cut the potatoes evenly. This ensures they cook evenly. Slice them about 1⁄4 inch thick. If they are too large they will either be undercooked or soggy.
- Coat with cornstarch. This is essential to getting a crispy outer layer.
- Do not overcrowd the basket. Cook them in an even single layer. Don’t overlap and cook in batches if needed.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Dips: I can’t imagine sweet potato fries without a dipping sauce. Serve them with ketchup, an aioli, or even guacamole.
- Sandwiches & Wraps: This is a classic pairing. Try air fryer sweet potato fries with Crispy BBQ Chicken Wrap.
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets: The kids will love this combo!
Can Air Fried Sweet Potato Fries Be Made Ahead?
Yes! Slice, season and store them for later use (within 3 days). That way, when you want to eat some, there’s no prep work. Just pop them in the air fryer.
Store leftover sweet potato fries in an airtight container in the fridge for up 5 days.
Add fries into the air fryer basket and reheat until warm and crispy. It usually takes about 2-3 minutes to reheat in my air fryer.
What kind of oil is best for sweet potato fries?
I like to use an oil with a high smoke point like Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil. It has high quality ingredients and tastes amazing.
What kind of air fryer do you use?
I use the Gourmia 8-Quart Digital Air Fryer.
What if I don’t have an air fryer?
You can also make sweet potato fries in the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake at 425°F for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to flip half way through.
More Sweet Potato Recipes:
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a star rating and comment below to let us know your thoughts. You can also share the recipe on Instagram and tag @eatwell.withlex.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Gourmia 8-Quart Digital Air Fryer
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes about 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- Peel the sweet potatoes in about 1⁄4 inch strips. Place them in a large bowl with cold water and soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the potatoes then blot dry them with a clean towel or paper towel. Make sure the bowl is dry as well.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees f. Meanwhile, mix together the pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and cornstarch in a small bowl. Leave the salt for the end.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with avocado oil then sprinkle the spice mixture over the sweet potatoes. Toss well making sure that each piece is coated evenly.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the air fryer in an even layer without overlapping. This will ensure that they cook evenly and crispy.
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes, turning them half way through. The cook time may vary depending on your air fryer so make sure to check them throughout the cooking.
- Sprinkle it with sea salt and fresh parsley. Serve warm and enjoy.